Saturday, August 12, 2006

A little QT

Its Saturday night and Scott and I are sitting on our porch, enjoying an adult beverage in the dimmed light, watching lightening flash across the sky. Quality time? No. We're both on our computers, browsing the internet. Occassionally I produce one of my hacking coughs (I've had this horrible cough for going on 2 weeks now) and Scott will complain that its sound is too piercing. That's about the extent of our conversation. We (Scott) built this porch so that we could sit out here together and with our family and have good quality time. Yet every time we come out here we bring along our laptops. How sad are we?! I'm going to have to declare that we can't bring our laptops out here.....but I really like surfing out here....maybe I won't declare.

Actually, we had some nice quality time today. It was the first Saturday in I don't know how long that we spent the day together as a family. We went to Target for a grocery run this morning, then did yard work/played outside as a family, then we grilled burgers and made homemade ice cream for dinner. It was so nice to have Scott around to help and just be with us. I had almost forgotten how good it is to be a 2 parent family on the weekend! I don't ever want to know what its like to be an actual single parent. The quasi-single parent weekends are enough to let me know it would totally suck.

The girls had a fun day too. They're both goofey butts. And they both would be naked 24/7 if we let them. I have to chase Cate around the house after every potty time just to get her to put her underwear back on. Then good luck getting her shorts on after that. Clare is equally hard to pin down to put a diaper on her. Where do they get this?! Don't answer that. I've been known to relish being naked myself a time or two. Those days are over now - until I get comfortable with my new rotundness or until I lose all this weight. Anyway, today the girls got all wet playing with the hose and then found some mud right after that. So I brought them in, got all their dirty wet things off, cleaned them up and they remained in their b-day suits all through dinner (Clare had on a diaper).

Tomorrow we'll go to church in the morning. I'll check out my flower beds and see how much weeding I have to do. I volunteered this summer to be on the weeding crew at church and I've been slacking. And the beds I'm in charge of are right in front where everyone sees them. Eeek! I suspect I'll have to head out there tomorrow evening. Anyway, after church I think we'll do some patio furniture shopping. We're looking for a hardwood dining table and chairs, the one's that are bar height. But we're so cheap that we don't want to spend much. Everything is on clearance now so hopefully we can find something we like in our price range. Scott's parents are up visiting Dustin and Josie and they're stopping by at some point in the afternoon. It will be nice to see them since I wasn't down there last weekend.

And that will be another weekend come and gone. But so far, this is ranking up there with the good one's.

No comments: