Wednesday, August 16, 2006

...and this too shall pass

You may remember a previous post where I talked about Cate and her wandering around at night. She's still at it. After we put the gate up, she would get up and just stand there trying to figure out how to get it open. At which point I would get up and gently lead her back to bed. Amazingly without any huge fuss on her part. I did this for a couple of nights - leading her back to bed thinking she'd soon tire of getting up. Oh no, not Cate. I woke up one night and saw a low light from the hallway which meant her door was open and her nightlight was shining into the hallway (we normally keep her door closed). I got up thinking she'd be standing at the gate, but she was sound asleep on the floor in the hallway. I left her there and she was happy as a clam the next morning. Soon she could be found every morning laying in the hallway all curled up in a little ball. I started leaving a pillow and blanket out there for her and now she just covers up and rests easy. I'm totally fine with this situation. She's not bothering us or Clare, she's so quiet even I can't hear her when she comes out of her room and lays down, and (this is the best part) she waits until we wake up before coming into our room in the morning even though she's awake before we are.

I was fine with everything until just a few moments ago. Scott and I were sitting out here on the porch. I started doing my blog and Scott went in to do the dishes (isn't he great!). He'd been in there about 15 minutes when he suddenly he rushes out and says, "Cate's missing!". The whole gate thing works great, but we usually don't put it up until we go to bed. Scott said he had been hearing a weird noise like a window was open for a while even though we have the AC on. Turns out it was the front door, hanging wide open. Cate had come down at some point when we were both on the porch and walked right out the door. Scott didn't notice the front door open when he went inside. Anyway, after a quick look upstairs, we ran outside. Here comes my little blondie from the open door of the garage. "Mommy I woke up." Yes, honey you sure did. I of course scooped her up and gently told her to please don't go outside when you wake up at night. It scares the freakin shit out of your parents (it was in kid speak however). She looked like she was going to cry so I told her she wasn't in trouble but that it was scarey for mommy and daddy. Hopefully it made some kind of impression.

So now she's back up in her bed, hopefully falling asleep with the gate firmly in place at the top of the stairs. We'll be installing a lock up high on all the doors tomorrow. I need a beer!

2 comments:

Strats said...

Freaky. I used to walk in my sleep as a kid. One night my dad found me walking out the garage door. That's what happens when we grow up helping dad in the garage...no fear of the garage!

Chuck said...

Did somebody say Summit?

I too walked in my sleep. I also used to bang my head on the side of the crib. Must be a sign of intelligence :)