Monday, September 18, 2006

Up Nort

I'm craving breadpudding. Of all things! I hadn't even thought of breadpudding for years until about 4 weeks ago when I had some at Famous Daves. While I've always preferred my mom's homemade recipe (mouth is watering now), I can't knock Dave's, especially with that yummy sauce all over it. So of course, once I've set myself on the course to lose weight, I now can't get it out of my mind. And I have to be good today because I knowingly blew it all weekend while we were up north. I figured I'd better enjoy something on this trip so I ate what I wanted (which included half a bag of reeses peices - the big family sized bag). Which brings me to my next topic...

Do not go up north on a rainey weekend with two children under 3, to a lot with no amenities and a mouse infested camper. I keep trying to be positive. Scott decided that we should stay both nights in the hotel. Thank God! The hotel was nice and had a pool so at least Cate and Clare had some fun there. And we didn't get rained on but it was cool and cloudy. I got to eat some decent food (but I felt guilty). And the girls did really well in the car. Other than that, not much fun. Both girls had a super hard time sleeping, especially that first night. And if anyone knows me at all, I was a mess! I get super stressed out when the girls don't sleep. After everyone finally conked out, I was still up for another hour just destressing. In the morning we went swimming, which is also very stressful with two toddlers who both think they're the next olympic champions but who in actuality, can barely keep their heads above water without help. And they like going in different directions too. After swimming we headed out to the property. It looked pretty much the same as it did last year. I cooked up some burgers for lunch and we got a fire going. Needless to say, we missed naps (i.e. mom is stressed again). So we had grouchy dirty tired hungry babies as we headed back to the hotel to have dinner. We were way past normal bedtimes again (stress). I thought for sure we would get the girls down very easily the second night given how tired they were. And they did go down well. But I didn't. There were kids in the next room banging the door and running up and down the halls until 11:30. I am a very light sleeper and could not sleep through that (Scott was out 2 seconds after his head hit the pillow). I got up and knocked on their door and did a totally crabby-old-lady-shaking-her-disfigured-finger diatribe at these poor kids telling them to be quiet or I'd get them kicked out. I'm still embarrassed (they should add that as a question on the realage test "have you ever given a crabby-old-lady-be-quiet diatribe to a bunch of kids? If yes, add 15 year"). There wasn't an adult in sight and the oldest kid I saw was maybe 12 and she was trying to do her homework. It occured to me later that they were probably children of one of the hotel employees so I couldn't have had them thrown out if I wanted. But they did shut up pretty good after that. The next morning, Scott took off to the lake with attley to do some man crap like cutting down trees and clearing...something. I'm sure he was in hog heaven. The girls and I hung out in the room watching cartoons. Cate started to feel kinda sick and had a fever so we didn't venture out of the room. Boredom set in about 10 minutes after Scott left and I was dreading the next couple of hours with a sick kid and an antsy 1-year old. However, I'm quite good at figureing out how to enjoy myself. So I popped in some Elmo videos for the girls, and I took out the book I had borrowed from Sarah, "So you want to be a Rock and Roll Star" by Jake Slichter of Semisonic. That pleasantly passed a couple more hours until Scott came back and we packed up and left. I was very happy to be heading back home. I'm more than willing to rough it up at the lake, but not with the girls. It stresses me out WAY too much.

So here we are at home today, recovering. Cate still has a fever. I'm thinking its from a cold that she recently caught. They both slept great last night and took good naps today. I'm indulging myself with an episode of Oprah. I usually don't watch it because I'm supposed to be spending quality time with my kids. But I did that this weekend (sort of) so I'm breaking my own rule. And its keeping me from whipping up some bread pudding!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Been there done that. Any trip
with 2 kids(or more) under the
age of 5 is always a good reason
to add a couple of bottles of wine to the suitcase!
Sleepless in Lakeville
(K. Baty)