Thursday, September 07, 2006

Farmboy

Clarebear had her one year well baby checkup today which included 2 vaccination shots and a blood test for hemoglobin and lead. Ouch! Poor baby! I asked for the lead test because its possible she's swallowed some small peices of one of granny's old necklaces that broke recently. I'm not worried, she's not showing any signs of lead poisoning. But better safe than sorry. Anyway, she checked out fine on everything. She's topping the charts, just like Cate was at this age. She's 31" long (exactly half my height) and weighs just under 24 lbs. That's 95th and 90th percentile for girls, respectively. Cate was 30 1/4" long and 24 lbs at her one year check. Scotty says that I grow em big and I guess he's right. Looks like I'm always going to be the shrimp in the family, no matter what family I'm in. I reckon both girls will be 5' 8" or taller. I hope they don't get a complex about it because they will probably always be taller than the boys until they become adults.

While Clare and I were in the waiting room at the doctor's office, Fred Hoiberg came in with his 3 year old twins! After he checked in he came over and sat right across from me. I normally wouldn't have said anything to him - I always feel bad for celebrities who can't go anywhere without people mobbing them - but I know Scotty would have KILLED me if I didn't say something. So I said hi and let him know we were big fans. Found out his kids have strep which was why they were in. He asked where I lived and I asked where he lived (near Hazeltine). He was really nice (and cute too) and didn't seem put off at being recognized (that's a good ol' Iowa farmboy for ya). I of course called Scott the minute we left the office to rub it in. He was jealous and mad that I didn't mention that he also went to Iowa State. Scott's been hoping to run into Fred at the Chaska Target for years now. Now when he does, I'll be able to introduce them. Tee hee! My gloating didn't end there. I had to also give a call to Stratton - not so much to rub it in but because she's such a T-wuvs fan and I knew she'd appreciate the siting. She would and has done the same for me when she's spotted Dan Wilson. Now that's a good friend! Have fun in France Sarah!

After my brush with fame I was fully intending to go straight home to work after dropping off Clare at Jamie's. But I made a quick stop at Chaska Farm and Garden - they were having a sale on grasses. I didn't end up buying any grasses but got some dwarf hosta's, an azalea, a mum and some daisies. I'm such a plant slut. I just love getting new plants and figuring out where to put them and what I can move or split to make more plants. Who knew I would be such a plant nerd! After fulfilling my little plant addiction, I stopped at a couple of garage sales. It's Caver's Steamboat Days this weekend and they always have a city-wide garage sale. So I didn't get back home until 1:00. When I finally sat down to work (I had to eat lunch first) I tried opening some spreadsheets but my VPN was going very slowly so it seemed to take forever just to get one little thing done. I did actually manage to get in a couple of hours but then called it quits. I could hear the plants calling me to put them in the ground so out I went. I'm gonna have to buck up and do some work this weekend.

I'm looking forward to this weekend. I've got MOPs training on Friday night and Saturday morning. I've been looking forward to being a part of this ministry for moms. And the women who are leaders with me seem to be a fun group. Sharla (my oldest - I mean longest- friend) and Paige (my neighbor and newest friend) are leaders too so if nothing else I'll have a ball with them. Then on Sunday my newest nephews are going to be baptized. John and James were the unexpected one's that made my brother's family jump from 6 to 8. They're so cute too! That reminds me that I have to go get them a present! Better do some shopping tomorrow.

2 comments:

Strats said...

He was jealous and mad that I didn't mention that he also went to Iowa State.

Ahem. Schwake's not the only Cyclone alumnus around here.

I'm not just a T-pups fan...I also lived in the city where Freddie was known as The Mayor.

Anonymous said...

Not so sure that Freddie was a farmboy, but I guess that's the rap you get when you're from Iowa!