Monday, April 13, 2009

What a weekend

I'd like to say that I had a great weekend. Alas, I cannot. Saturday dawned with the promise of a beautiful sunny warm day. I know, because I saw the dawn at 6:00 am from my car window in an attempt to get my son to sleep by driving him around after being awake much of the night. My poor baby developed a bad case of croup on Friday morning which worsened during the night. We put him to bed and just as I was finishing my last post, he woke up crying. It took about 3 hours to get him settled enough to sleep. Then it was fitful for a couple of hours and more awakeness until dawn. Every time he started crying, his throat would close up until he was just squeeking trying to get some air in. We spent a good amount of time outside in the cold air that night. So the next day after lunch (and some sleep on my end), I decided to take him to urgent care to see if they could prescribe some steroids so that our next night would be better.

Once in urgent care he again started crying and the doctor, who two minutes earlier was treating me as though I was an idiot mom who was over reacting, suddenly decided Coop's breathing (or lack thereof) warrented an ambulance trip to Children's. A few minutes later, Cooper stopped crying and his breathing returned to normal...well, not normal but back to the slightly constricted/raspy breathing he'd been doing before. We did, however, go by ambulance to Children's where they advised us to stay overnight for observation should he have another rough night. They gave him the steroids I was hoping to get for him and that night in the hospital he slept very well with no constricted breathing at all. It wasn't all bad. I did learn a fabulous brownie pudding recipe on the Barefoot Contessa on the TV in the ward.


Croupy Coopy in his hospital gown (from my cell phone).

So Scott had to rush around on Saturday with the girls to bring us some stuff in the hospital, and grab our car which was still at Urgent Care. And he had to make up the Easter baskets all by himself (I LOVE doing that kind of stuff). The girls looked for their baskets in the morning without mommy or Coopy there. Coop and I got home shortly before 11:00 on Sunday morning. I showered quick while Coop took a nap then we headed on over to my brother's for Sunday dinner of yummy ham and cheesy potatoes. Then, thankfully, our church had a 5:00 pm Easter service which we were able to attend. It's just not Easter without going to church!

And last night, Coopy, after a very crabby (which I hear is a side effect of the steroids) and tired day, slept very peacefully in his own bed surrounded by his own stuffed animals and blankies and woke up, still with croup but happy and on the mend. It will be an Easter to remember, that's for sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, how about some of those brownies!
-Schwake