Thursday, April 26, 2007

Stickerchart Wonderland

Okay, at least one of my strategies for dealing with my "chillins" worked...for one night. I devised a sticker chart for Cate. From what I read, sticker charts are like magic vodoo juice for 3 year olds - they can get them to do anything. So the deal is, if Cate stays in her room all night and doesn't come hover over mommy's drooling dreaming countenance only to have mommy open her eyes to a little face inches from her own which sends her whole body one foot off the bed in 0.2 seconds, then she earns a sticker on her chart. After she gets 5 stickers, she gets to pick out an item from the dollar shelves at Target. I love that 3 year olds can be so easily pacified with cheap foreign-made toys. As we were going to bed, she was very excited about the chart and earning her sticker but I was fairly dubious that she would actually remember. But she did! Either that, or she was so overtired from her previous 2-hr plus awakening the night before that she slept right through. Either way, she earned her sticker. Mommy woke alert and happy and so did she.

Things are going a little better with the Bear as well. I'm giving her more choices which helps her feel a little more power in a house where she's surrounded by very big people and dog. And I've been trying to listen harder to her one-word garbled sentences to try to make out if she's hungry, tired or just plain frustrated. One word I can consistently make out plainly is Candy. She knows what's really important to convey. That's my girl.

Now we head out to Waterloo tomorrow morning. The sleeping thing will be shot as will the power I hold with Candy since grandma and grandpa will give them anything their little hearts desire. But we'll manage somehow.

Plus I get my sewing machine this weekend! Move over Martha!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sticker chart. I'll have to try it with my 4 year old as he is going through the "monster in my closet" syndrome. I know exactly how you feel with a face in yours at 3 a.m.
I'll give it a shot and see if stickers trump the boogieman!

kbaty

Anonymous said...

Hi Missy; Arlo, Cheryl's cousin out in Washington. I imagine you are ready to have a baby. Please have Cheryl keep me posted or Scott if he has time. Good luck, I'll be thinking about you. Also are the girls ready for another one? Hope so. Take good care of yourself too. Love you guys!

Arlo Waggoner+

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS on the new boy!
Grandma Cheryl let me know. Hope all is going well. Try to keep warm and comfy.

Love you all;

Arlo+

Anonymous said...

These databases provide actual market data. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry Bags[/url] I realized that all three of them could be sitting within the audience nervously waiting for the announcement of my name and also my ascension into manhood.. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose outerwear[/url] Ncrootacx
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora uk[/url] Xzyqfrezr [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose outlet[/url] hxvkyrwjr