Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Did I Really Say That??


I was just re-reading what I posted a week or so ago and it all sounds so rosy and picture perfect. The last couple of days...not so much. My girls have been giving me a run for my money. Clare has been in a particularly annoying Jekyl and Hyde mode. She's been on a vengence to hit and pull the hair of her sister. She squeals with laughter when I try to be stern with her about it. She broke my brand new $400+ reading glasses while in Target the other day. Yesterday she was particularly touchy - any very slight admonishment I would give her would send her into tears. And randomly she comes up to me and gives me a bunch of sweet kisses. I'm having a tough time figuring her out. But I've got a strategy in place to deal with all these prickly practices of hers.


My eldest dear daughter is still waking up at night. And I foolishly have been taking her back to bed and laying down with her until she goes back to sleep. The original intent was that she would nod back off within 10 minutes or so and I could head back to my own bed. But, for some unknown reason, that doesn't always happen. Last night, for instance, the little minx didn't settle down for about 2 hours. I've devised another strategy to deal with her.

And really, these strategies are to train me to react differently and to actually be a parent rather than going on robot-mom mode. This morning as I struggled to awake and open my eyes on my way to the bathroom after being up with Cate in the night, I pulled out an ovulation predictor test as I sat down to pee. Scott looked at me and jokingly said, "Are you sure you want to do that?" For a minute, I did actually think, "What the heck am I doing?! I can barely handle these two." But the thought passed. My test didn't (maybe God is telling me something here??!!).

On a brighter note, I had a great birthday week. It started off with a fab trip to Arrowwood resort for the Westwood Women's retreat with my friend Paige. We gabbed the entire time up and back and a lot while we were there as well (her more than me - she's way more social than I am). We also met up with a couple of other friends and made it into a fun girls' weekend. Plus, I was totally inspired by the speaker to really set aside time to read my bible and pray. I've been meaning to do it for, oh, 3 years or so. But that was the gentle push I needed to make it a real priority. We got back home late on Saturday night. Sunday was a gorgeous day and I met up with my friends Amy, Sarah and Karyn for a walk and some munchies. Since we've all started co-habitating and 3 of us have had kids, we just don't get together nearly as much as we used to but we are always able to pick right up where we left off and have really good conversations. Tuesday night I went to a happy hour with Teri and Marti which was fun. Wed, we went to dinner at Fuddruckers with the girls. It was so cute. Scott had taken the girls shopping on Tuesday for my birthday. Cate came into the bathroom as I was getting ready on Wed. (my b-day) lugging a huge pair of loppers (gardening implement) that were almost as big as she was. Scott let me know that he did get me the sewing machine. We'll pick it up this weekend when we go to Waterloo. Thursday night was my MOPs night. And on Friday night my parents came over for pizza as we all sat on our deck and enjoyed the beautiful evening. It was a very good birthday week and I barely noticed that I turned 39. Until Sunday, when Sharla reminded me of it repeatedly. I had a great time with her and Nan when we went out for dinner on Sunday night. Action packed week. I think Scott is a little sick of carrying the load so it's good that I don't have anything planned for an entire week now.

As I mentioned earlier, we're heading down to Waterloo on Friday morning to help Scott's parents celebrate their last days at work. Cheryl is done on Friday and Ken is done on Monday. They are very excited and a little nervous about how it will all go. But I think Scott and I may be just a bit more excited than they are. We're looking forward to having them up for extended stays when they can watch the girls and don't have to rush back home to work. We're selfishly hoping to get in some more time together now that we have some willing and free babysitters at our beck and call.

That's all for now, folks. My theme for the next week...Wag more, bark less.

No comments: